Welcome to my new Blog



Welcome to my Blog.
My Blog is mostly about my hobbies, ie Model boats, Cross Stitch, Gardening, Days out and about, Lego Technics and Photography you might recognize the hat rather than me. My models and other hobbies can be found in the Tabs at the top below the header picture.
There will also be entries of days out with my camera, weather permitting of course.

Thursday 24 November 2011

Lights

With Christmas fast approaching I was reminded of my first look into lights for my boats!
I found that garden centres with their vast array of Christmas lights at this time of year had lots of LED lights and found a packet of 20 coloured lights with a switched battery box to hold two AA batteries all for £1.99!
Ritalea boat built by Bob Abell!

So this was my first project all 20 lights round the canopy, and the battery box was painted to look like a picnic box in the bottom of the boat.

Unfortunately times have moved on and these lights went up in price to £2.99 the following year, but not to be disheartened with this price increase I then lit up my next project with a string of 30 lights! on my "AZIZ" , good job I'd got a stock of lights in at the old price after Christmas, It was just a case of attaching an extra 10  lights on to the 20 in the packet and they still last long enough for a sail on the two AA's

My next venture into lighting comes with my Narra Boat, and having found that my other lights don't show up very well on the water I decided to avail myself of John's knowledge of electric's and use bigger LED's but my brain couldn't work out the resistors to use for this! so after John's input I started 
So it was started by soldering on the resistors, covering the LED's with plastic tube and then inserting three into a housing for them.
Making up a small unit to house the lights 
connecting to a battery box, nice and bright hey!
And there you have it, painted up and bright enough to see in daylight, not much dearer than the garden centre ones and with rechargeable batteries no problem.
Well I hope you find this of interest and look out for bargains after Christmas.

Must get on and finish that superstructure of the Narra Boat needs sanding sealer and painting.
..........................................................................................................................
"I will go to the end of the world for you" he said 
"Yes but will you stay there" she yawned.

Paddy took his crocodile into the pub and said "Do you serve Catholics?" 
The barman said he did.
"Well I'll be having a pint of Stout, and two Catholics for my Crocodile!
......................................................................................................................................
That's all folks

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. We'll be looking for shots of them all lit up on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It`s nice to see you back in action, Duckie
    Owt yer want mekkin`....Just ask!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete